BENEFITS OF YOGA
If you have thought that yoga is about weird poses or just static movements, read on. Yoga's benefits have been scientifically researched and the findings support what ancient yogis knew by direct experience: that yoga
has a great effect on the entire body, the mind and even the spirit.
In a study performed by the ACE (American Council for Exercise) in 2005 at the University of Wisconsin, 35 women of average age 33 and of a sedentary lifestyle were tested using Hatha Yoga for 8 weeks. The results were revealing. "For the average person off-the street who doesn't have a fitness program, this study shows what would happen if you did eight weeks of Hatha Yoga, " explains Dawn Boehde, Ph.D. " We saw very nice changes in flexibility of the entire body, the shoulder girdle, twisting, bending, reaching, good low-back flexibility —all those types of flexibility improved" Other findings show that practicing yoga at least 3 times a week helps increase strength and aerobic capacity. Other studies have shown the positive effects of yoga on the nervous system and on the brain. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine reported that yoga improved mood, decreased anxiety and boosted in the brain the release of chemicals such as gamma-amino butyric acid or GABA (which the brain needs in the treatment of depression and anxiety) in 34 young physically and psychologically healthy subjects. Below are some of the benefits you can expect when practicing yoga.
- Better sleep
- Improved flexibility
- Improved strength
- Improved joint range of motion and joint lubrication
- Supple, moveable spine
- Strong bone structure; increased bone density
- Better circulation and more oxygen to the cells
- Increased drainage to the limphatic system which helps fight infections, destroy cancerous cells and aid in disposing of toxins and waste from cell functioning
- Lowering of high blood pressure
- Lowered risk of heart attack by improving cardiovascular conditioning, lowering heart rate, increase endurance and uptake of oxygen
- Lowered cortisol levels, reducing depression and osteoporosis (cortisol extracts calcium and other minerals from the bones)
- Help in weight loss through movement and burning of calories
- Lowered blood sugar and LDL (bad) cholesterol and increase in HDL (good) cholesterol
- Relaxation of the body and the mind
- Improved balance and awareness of space perception
- Increased awareness about yourself and others
- Increased body control. You can improve blood flow to specific areas or induce relaxation
- Boosting of the immune system
- Improved breathing capacity and breathing efficiency
- Maintanence of a healthier brain through better breathing capacity and efficiency
- Aid against constipation and irritable vowel syndrome, and lower risk of colon cancer
- Reduction of pain, arthritis, back pain, fybromyalgia, carpal tunnel and other chronic conditions
- Increased ability of the body to burn calories and dispose of toxins.
- Helps you live drug free
- Cultivation of emotional healing, frinedships, compassion and greater equanimity.
- Reduction of stress and its mental and physical effects
- Accelerated healing of the body
Ready to do yoga? See you at the studio.